Join thousands of weekly readers and receive practical marketing advice for FREE.
MarketingSherpa's Case Studies, New Research Data, How-tos, Interviews and Articles

Enter your email below to join thousands of marketers and get FREE weekly newsletters with practical Case Studies, research and training, as well as MarketingSherpa updates and promotions.


Please refer to our Privacy Policy and About Us page for contact details.

No thanks, take me to MarketingSherpa

First Name:
Last Name:
Sep 22, 2002
Blog Post

Testing a Switch from Single to Double Opt-In

SUMMARY: No summary available.
Last week we went from single to double opt-in for one of our publications, MarketingSherpa, because of the torture game. I figure we ought to put Best Practices in action (practice what I preach) especially because the viral game may be played by all sorts of civilians who normally wouldn't know to visit our site
and sign up for subscriptions. The hurdle that normally pre-qualifies them for a subscription is not there.

Results? 82% confirmation rate so far, which means 82% are replying to the confirmation email in the affirmative. I try to think of the remaining 18% not as "lost" circulation, but as culled out "bad" circulation. People who didn't really want our newsletter, and who might have viewed it as a pest in their inbox over time.
See Also:

Post a Comment

Note: Comments are lightly moderated. We post all comments without editing as long as they
(a) relate to the topic at hand,
(b) do not contain offensive content, and
(c) are not overt sales pitches for your company's own products/services.

To help us prevent spam, please type the numbers
(including dashes) you see in the image below.*

Invalid entry - please re-enter

*Please Note: Your comment will not appear immediately --
article comments are approved by a moderator.

Improve Your Marketing

Join our thousands of weekly Case Study readers.

Enter your email below to receive MarketingSherpa news, updates, and promotions:

Note: Already a subscriber? Want to add a subscription?
Click Here to Manage Subscriptions

Best of the Week:
Marketing case studies and research

Chart Of The Week

B2B Marketing

Consumer Marketing

Email marketing

Inbound Marketing

SherpaStore Alerts


We value your privacy and will not rent or sell your email address. Visit our About Us page for contact details.