Close
Join 237,000 weekly readers and receive practical marketing advice for FREE.
MarketingSherpa's Case Studies, New Research Data, How-tos, Interviews and Articles

Enter your email below to join thousands of marketers and get FREE weekly newsletters with practical Case Studies, research and training, as well as MarketingSherpa updates and promotions.

 

Please refer to our Privacy Policy and About Us page for contact details.

No thanks, take me to MarketingSherpa

First Name:
Last Name:
Email:
Text HTML
MarketingSherpa Email Summit 2015 - SAVE $700 - VIP PRICING ENDS THURSDAY
Jun 23, 2009
Article

New Chart: Search is Generating the Bulk of B2B Leads – But How Good are They?

SUMMARY: The success of a marketing program is too often judged by the quantity, rather than the quality, of leads produced. But when it comes to converting leads to revenue, the sales force will tell you that more isn’t necessarily better – better is better.

The Quality and Quantity of Leads Generated by Search Sources


View Chart Online


Click here to see larger, printable version of this chart


CHART NOTE: Marketers were asked to rate the quantity and quality of leads generated for each of the search tactic listed at the bottom of each column using the scale shown to the right of the chart. The total percentage of each column reflects those who are using that tactic. For example, 71% of respondents use 'Search engine optimization'. The remaining 29% do not use this tactic.

Every marketing organization needs to find the right balance between lead quantity and quality. Too many leads, even of a high quality, and an overwhelmed sales team will be forced to allow opportunities to fall through the cracks. Too few leads or leads of low quality will cause sales force productivity to plummet.

Search has become an ideal solution to balancing lead flow because, in many cases, the spigot can simply be opened or closed to control volume. The more complex challenge is controlling lead quality. This requires a much more strategic approach to optimizing not only web pages for SEO but, in the case of paid search, carefully aligning the context of PPC keywords with ad listings and landing pages.

Marketers who are optimistic about the months ahead and said they will be focused on sales growth resulting from an economic rebound, understand that higher quality leads will convert to more revenue in less time, and are addressing the challenge of generating them now.


Comments about this Article

Jun 23, 2009 - Steve Dreskin of Square Peg Marketign Communications & Design says:
Why don't the columns add up to 100%? Or, why don't all "high-quality, high-quantity" numbers add to 100%, etc.? This graph feels incomplete and begs some questions.


Jun 24, 2009 - Sergio Balegno of MarketingSherpa says:
Thanks for your comment, Steve. We asked marketers to rate the quantity and quality of leads generated for each search tactic shown at the bottom of each column using the scale shown to the right of the chart. The total percentage of each column reflects those using that tactic. For example, 71% of respondents use 'Search engine optimization'. The remaining 29% do not use this tactic. I hope this helps to clarify the chart for you.


Jun 29, 2009 - Evelyn Majewski of eMarketer says:
Hello - can you tell me what geography this chart represents? US? Worldwide? Thank you!


Jun 29, 2009 - Evelyn Majewski of eMarketer says:
Hello - can you tell me what geography this chart represents? US? Worldwide? Thank you!


Jun 30, 2009 - Mike Christen of infoUSA says:
Sergio is right, quantity does not always equal quality. When populating leads/lists for customers, they often think that counts are too low. But once you eliminate the un-mailable addresses, non-verified phone #'s, etc., you will get a smaller count...but a more qualified list.



Post a Comment

Note: Comments are lightly moderated. We post all comments without editing as long as they
(a) relate to the topic at hand,
(b) do not contain offensive content, and
(c) are not overt sales pitches for your company's own products/services.










To help us prevent spam, please type the numbers
(including dashes) you see in the image below.*

Invalid entry - please re-enter




*Please Note: Your comment will not appear immediately --
article comments are approved by a moderator.